madbaker: (Paul the Samurai)
[personal profile] madbaker
This week's bonus Resolution Recipe was our work day project: Bagels.
"If you’re after the authentic NY style bagel experience, you don’t have to be in NY. And you don’t need NY water to make a quality NY style bagel. Forget about the water myth. But we do think we can help you make truly great bagels in your kitchen."

Sourdough version:
250 g activated starter (I used Lazarus IV)
713 g flour (I used 1/4 rye, 1/4 wheat, 1/2 strong)
361 g water
17 g salt
5 g barley malt syrup

Yeast baseline version:
5 g dry yeast
838 g flour (same proportions)
486 g water (see what didn't work)
17 g salt
5 g barley malt syrup

Combine the dry ingredients. Add water and malt syrup (and sourdough) to the mixing bowl and mix on Kitchenaid 2 for 6 minutes. Place the kneaded dough into a covered bowl and ferment for an hour.

Shape the dough into 12 equal balls. Place on a lined baking sheet and cover with plastic. Refrigerate the sourdough overnight. If desired, refrigerate the yeast balls overnight as well. (We did not so desire - we made them the day of and let them proof on the counter.)

Shape into bagels: poke a hole in the center of ball, then rotate around a finger to stretch slightly. Let bagels rest for an hour or so. Heat oven to 500°. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add 5 g malt syrup to the boil. Boil bagels for 90 seconds per side, then blot with a towel and move to a baking sheet. When all are boiled, brush with egg wash and top with seeds and/or minced garlic as desired. Bake for 4 minutes topping side down, then flip bagels right-side up and bake for 14-16 minutes longer, until golden brown.

What worked: The sourdough bagels looked nearly professional grade, he said modestly. It was a good work day project despite the major error detailed next.

What didn't: I misread the water amount on the yeast batch and used the sourdough amount. We kept thinking it was too dry (and it was) but I didn't make the connection. The yeast batch didn't slacken up and make a nice smooth mass, so they were craggy and a bit tight textured.

I couldn't taste much flavor difference between the two, nor did there seem to be much sour or rye flavor.

Will I make it again? Sure! This was less work than the last time I made bagels, and a dozen isn't too many for two of us to eat over a few days.

Date: 2026-09-25 02:00 am (UTC)
psybelle: (sweeney todd)
From: [personal profile] psybelle
Those sound wonderful, but I live too close to House of Bagels ...

Profile

madbaker: (Default)
madbaker

October 2026

S M T W T F S
    123
4 56 78910
11 1213141516 17
18 19 2021222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 21st, 2026 01:11 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios