Three Things Make a Post
Oct. 7th, 2026 07:58 amI had a nasty Charlie horse Sunday night in my calf and it's persisting, especially when I get up in the morning. I have been trying to be diligent about stretching it out. Sitting all day yesterday didn't help, I am sure.
I was on call last week for jury duty and had to report in Thursday. I don't believe in weaseling out, though I would plead hardship on a long trial because I genuinely can't be away that long. This trial was predicted for a week though, so I didn't try. Yesterday I went in for jury selection and because I wasn't seated I can talk about it. Guy was fighting a misdemeanor DUI in 2024. If you listen carefully (and I try to) you can get a pretty good idea of the shape of the trial and the strategies. The prosecutor planned to call only one witness, presumably the cop who pulled him over, and very little evidence - presumably the alcohol blood results. The defense planned on trying to sow doubt on the results and the defendant wasn't taking the stand (which is his right). I do question the doubt strategy though, since one of the charges was blood alcohol level above 0.2%, more than double the legal standard. I guess they plan to contest the initial result and that might then invalidate a later higher read?
Lots of usual whining from prospective jurors and my virtual eye-rolling. One guy told a long rambling story for what felt like ten minutes. One guy who had two DUIs and said he was inclined against anyone else who had the same. There was also the immigration defense attorney who flat-out said she was biased against cops and the legal system. I have served several trials before, which either gets me seated as a reliable juror or might have gotten me kicked out for theoretically substituting my judgment for the jury instructions. (I don't think I would actually do that, but I could see a lawyer making that call.)
I ran a little late this AM and decided to skip having coffee at home. When I got my usual at the coffee shop, an AI company was paying for the drinks and it only cost me a penny. Everything's coming up Milhouse!
I was on call last week for jury duty and had to report in Thursday. I don't believe in weaseling out, though I would plead hardship on a long trial because I genuinely can't be away that long. This trial was predicted for a week though, so I didn't try. Yesterday I went in for jury selection and because I wasn't seated I can talk about it. Guy was fighting a misdemeanor DUI in 2024. If you listen carefully (and I try to) you can get a pretty good idea of the shape of the trial and the strategies. The prosecutor planned to call only one witness, presumably the cop who pulled him over, and very little evidence - presumably the alcohol blood results. The defense planned on trying to sow doubt on the results and the defendant wasn't taking the stand (which is his right). I do question the doubt strategy though, since one of the charges was blood alcohol level above 0.2%, more than double the legal standard. I guess they plan to contest the initial result and that might then invalidate a later higher read?
Lots of usual whining from prospective jurors and my virtual eye-rolling. One guy told a long rambling story for what felt like ten minutes. One guy who had two DUIs and said he was inclined against anyone else who had the same. There was also the immigration defense attorney who flat-out said she was biased against cops and the legal system. I have served several trials before, which either gets me seated as a reliable juror or might have gotten me kicked out for theoretically substituting my judgment for the jury instructions. (I don't think I would actually do that, but I could see a lawyer making that call.)
I ran a little late this AM and decided to skip having coffee at home. When I got my usual at the coffee shop, an AI company was paying for the drinks and it only cost me a penny. Everything's coming up Milhouse!
no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 05:15 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 05:24 pm (UTC)(Ok, I’m not amazed. I’m just sad.)